The others will travel together first by plane to Port au Prince very early tomorrow morning, and then by bus to Les Cayes, a five to six hour trip. They will be hosted by Louis St. Germain at his home in a suburb of Cayes called Cite Lumiere. It will be a tight fit!
From that as a home base, they'll visit four or five locations, by bus, during the week. Medical teams and water purification teams will be busy all week. The days are long.
The team has 3 doctors, 2 nurses, 4 people who are trained in water purification systems, and a whole bunch of helping hands to do whatever else is needed. The "non-medical" folks make it possible for the medically trained people to be most effective by doing anything and everything else to make things run efficiently. The water team will work independently on most days, even when at the same site as the medical teams. Of the 16 people on the team, most are "repeaters" as Haiti missions team members, which will help in many ways.
Our goal is to send an update every night, with pictures and prayer requests for the next day. For tonight, please pray:
- For safe and smooth travel tomorrow out of Miami, into Port au Prince, and to Les Cayes by bus. Travelling in a group of 16 is difficult, especially when each person is carrying two 50 pound duffel bags full of supplies - medicine, clothes, bedsheets, and water purification system parts - plus their own small suitcase and a backpack.
- That all of those bags would arrive intact and go smoothly through customs. That can be a tense time of waiting, examining bags and paperwork, and sometimes being told there are new 'rules' that apply to bringing supplies in that usually cost money, paid directly to the customs agents. Pray that all will be well.
- For health for the team. They've all come to work, and not feeling well will be a hindrance. Pray especially for adjustment to the heat and humidity, which is intense even in February.
- For good rest, and for electricity and air conditioning to be reliable in the evenings. It is difficult to sleep well - sometimes sleep at all - without it.
- For opportunities to share the love of Jesus in both word and deed, regardless of language barriers.